Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Warm Green Bean and Tomato Salad


Just made this tonight (needed an all-veg dinner after having a whole bagel for lunch) and I loved it. It's sort of based on this recipe I saw on the Food Network: Green Bean Salad

But, honestly, I get kind of lazy about following a recipe so I decided to wing it. I think the biggest change was that I switched the basil, which I'm kind of 'meh' about, for cilantro, which I'm all 'woohoo' about.

So, here are the ingredients...roughly:

2 C. chopped green beans
1 large garlic clove
About 1/8 C. diced red onion (the chunk of onion I started with was about the size of a golf ball)
1 small tomato, chopped
3-4 T. fat free feta
1 to 2 T. chopped cilantro
1 T. oil
1 to 2 T. wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Smoked paprika (if you don't have smoked paprika, just use regular or add whatever you like - cumin would be similar)

I cooked the beans in water on the stove along with the garlic and onion. I didn't want the garlic and onion raw and I didn't want to dirty another pan (see 'lazy' comment above), so I boiled them with the green beans. I 'think' this was successful...I could taste the garlic and onion, but it was subtle.

Anyway, I strained these veggies in a colander and then transfered them to my bowl. While still warm, I added the feta, cilantro, tomato, oil, vinegar and the seasonings.

Total calories is about 250. I was kind of surprised that the calorie count was this high, but the oil accounts for 125 of the 250. And, really, a normal person might only eat half of the recipe...I am not said normal person.

No comments:

Post a Comment