Monday, July 30, 2012

Whew

July 23, 2012
Pounds lost in week nine = 6
Total pounds lost = 36 (average of 4 per week)

Finally broke the plateau - relieved.

So I was watching Dr. Oz and he recommended White Bean Extract because it blocks starch and prevents carbs from being absorbed in the body. I'm not a big fan of adding supplements - mainly because I think 'whole' foods and a balanced diet should really do the trick. But, I have a certain amount of trust in what Dr. Oz recommends - he better not lead me wrong!

Well, I went to GNC to pick up a bottle, and before I knew it, I was hearing about all these other supplements to increase my weight loss and strength. What a sales pitch, most of which I didn't understand. I was good at saying 'no', but I did buy a container of protein shake mix, since I have a hard time eating the required amount. The smoothies at the gym have whey protein in them, so I figure it's not a bad thing to have on hand.

Anyway, he must have thrown 15 samples of various things in my bag - pills, powders, gels. He offered a warning with most, like "Don't have these two together because of the caffeine," or "Don't have this one on an empty stomach."

Is all this crap really good for a person? Are you supposed to be throwing all those chemicals into your system? I can't believe that it is, although I did buy my White Bean Extract and protein shake powder, so I guess I must believe some of it.

Here's an article on About.com about white bean extract: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/weight_Loss/a/White-Bean-Extract.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kari...Holly told me about your blog...I too just recently started working out with a personal trainer at a gym for women and following a nutrition plan. It sounds like you are doing awesome! Keep it up! I am enjoying reading your blog and can relate. I've lost about 12 lbs so far and 3 inches...not bad...our workouts aren't quite as killer as yours though...I've got a great turkey meatloaf recipe and a great protein shake recipe if you are interested! Keep sharing your journey! Cindy (Nowak) Wagner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Good job on your workouts and progress too! Definitely intersted in the recipes, if it's not too much trouble to send them to me.

      Delete