Monday, June 11, 2012

Chicken, Chicken, Chicken

I'm going to add recipes here, too, just to help me remember easy, tasty food solutions.

Yesterday, I was in Target looking to buy 'other' meats besides my usual chicken and deli turkey. A worker came up and slapped a sticker on a small package of beef round steaks and said, "Instant coupon!" Originally $4.80 minus $3 coupon = I'm buying that meat! Then he said, "Here's another one." My lucky day.

So, I got beef, which I'll have to figure out what to do with. But I also got raw turkey breast (or maybe they were tenderloins). Here's what I did with them:

Cleaned and dried turkey (probably about 1.5 pounds), then placed in a small glass dish.
Poured on Frontera Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
Covered in foil, stuck in a meat thermometer (to cook to 165 degrees). Cooked at 350 covered for about an hour, then uncovered for a while longer.
Realized thermometer wasn't working...checked turkey for doneness the uncool way...
Once the turkey was done and had cooled a bit, I shredded it.

Then I put the cooking liquid in a sauce pan and reduced it, just to about the same thickness it was prior to cooking. I added about half of this finished sauce back onto the shredded turkey.

Divided this up into containers, and this morning I put a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top. Just heated it for about a minute, and viola - yummy protein-filled lunch. Yeah, it would be better with rice, cheese and a tortilla, but come on!

Exercise this morning - more on the strength and core conditioning than the aerobic workout, so I did better. Did jump rope for the first time in forever. It was kind of fun! But it was really, really hard. Two sets of 20 jumps about killed me. I'm thinking of getting a jump rope for at home.

I can just see it - hair in pigtails, rainbow shirt on, knee socks. Here I come childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment